We are your resource for any information you need about visiting the Lake Norman area. Our Towns of Cornelius, Davidson, and Huntersville exude plenty of southern hospitality and charm, and offer loads of entertainment! When it comes to hotels, dining, attractions, events, and things to do, we can help! Let us know how we can be your guide, and visit our website at www.visitlakenorman.org
April has arrived and that can only mean one thing, NC BEER MONTH. In North Carolina craft beer is celebrated all month-long and we are buzzing to tell you how to join in on the fun in Lake Norman. Check out the top 5 ways to tap into the craft below!
The most obvious, visit a brewery.
In North Mecklenburg, the craft beer scene has been gaining momentum and it doesn’t look like there’s an end in sight, YES. We suggest grabbing a pint and a seat at the bar or on the patios of 4 (almost 5) breweries: Ass Clown Brewing Company, Bayne Brewing Company, D9 Brewing Company and Primal Brewery. (Eleven Lakes Brewing is on the way!) Each brewery has their own vibe and during #NCBeerMonth you will find Visit Lake Norman (VLN) goodies like coasters, magnets and beer maps inside, that tell you how to enter the social media promotion! (more info below…)
2. Try a local tap house or bottle shop.
The supply of beer in LKN isn’t lacking so along with visiting the breweries, we suggest trying out a local tap house for additional NC craft favorites. In Cornelius, Davidson and Huntersville you can find many of these including: Crafty Beer Guys, Davidson Beverage Company, Cornelius Drafthouse, Bottled & Tapped, Old Town Public House and more. Hint: you can find all of these on the VLN Beer & Wine Trail Map at a brewery or the Visitor Center in Cornelius.
3. Find an event.
Get out the pen and calendar (or phone) and start planning for a number of annual and monthly events that go on surrounding beer. The Scottish Festival & Loch Norman Highland Games highlight the fun things about Scottish culture that everyone can appreciate (‘hello’ good food and drinks!) We think a kilt, a pint, a scotch egg and bagpipes is the recipe for a perfect weekend- THIS weekend to be exact. Another upcoming event is the ‘Tawba Walk Arts & Music Festival, April 29th at Oak Street Mill. Local beer, local art, food trucks and music…need we say more? The breweries are also busy with events throughout spring and summer, keep up with them here.
4. Hop on the BREW BUS.
Want an affordable ($10) and safe way to check out some of the bottle shops and taprooms in LKN? Grab a ticket for the Brew Bus that has unlimited rides on a loop to all stops from 7pm-12am, the next one is scheduled for Saturday 3/18. The stops include Bayne Brewing Company, Bottled & Tapped, Cornelius Drafthouse and Old Town Public House. Bring the whole group on the bus for a no-hassle way to experience Lake Norman breweries each month.
Now that you know where you’re going, check out VLN’s promotion details below for NC Beer Month and how to enter in just a few simple steps!
- Find a brewery or tap house & post your favorite beer related pics on Instagram or Facebook.
- Be sure to tag @visitlakenorman and use #LKNbeer to enter your pic.
- Wait to win each Wednesday during April, for awesome prizes like restaurant gift cards, brewery giveaways, pint glasses, VLN prizes, tickets to the NC Brewers & Music Festival and more.
[Reminder, don’t forget to grab a VLN coaster and magnet]
View more details on VLN’s promotion and beer website listings here.
CHEERS and happy posting!
Congrats to Hampton Inn & Suites in Huntersville for their 11th Consecutive Out-Standing Quality Insurance Inspection and 5th straight Lighthouse Award win!
ART GALLERY CRAWL- Join them for an Art Gallery Crawl on Friday, April 21, 2017 from 6 pm – 9 pm in the Hotel Lodge at the Nautical Nook Bar at Homewood Suites by Hilton – Davidson. Enjoy Live Music, Art, Light Refreshments and Cocktails at the Nautical Nook Bar.
KARAOKE NIGHT- Join in for a fun Karaoke Night on Thursday, April 27, 2017 from 8 pm – 11 pm at the Nautical Nook Bar.
Another congratulations to all 2016 Making Waves Hospitality Awards winners, and for joining us at the Peninsula Yacht Club! See you again next year for 2017 winners.
See you around LKN!
Lead to Succeed Management category winner 2015- Dominique Wright
Homewood Suites, Davidson: Beacon IMG is excited to announce a new member of our core management team in Charlotte, NC. Many Lake Norman residents will recognize the name of Dominique Wright, who has been a long time General Manager of the Homewood Suites by Hilton hotel in Davidson, NC. In December, Dominique accepted a promotion from to become Beacon IMG’s Regional Director of Operations responsible for the Hyatt Place hotel in Uptown Charlotte, The Hyatt Place Hotel in Chapel Hill, NC and the Homewood Suites by Hilton hotel in Davidson. Dominique has worked previously in several other positions at Beacon IMG managed hotels, including front desk agent, front office manager and AGM. Dominique brings with her a wealth of experience, a great deal of energy and a proven focus on achieving tremendous guest service feedback and she will be a terrific addition to the Beacon IMG core management team. Congratulations, Dominique!
Karaoke Night at the Nautical Nook Bar at the Homewood Suites Davidson from 8pm – 11 pm on Thursday, February 23, 2017
If you’re feeling like it’s beginning to look a lot like the holidays, book a stay at the quaint Davidson Village Inn for a relaxing getaway! Check out their blog on ideas on what to do during this festive season with the whole family in downtown Davidson.
Comfort Suites Lake Norman in Huntersville is proud to be partnering with the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE as a Toys for Tots location to help gather toys for children in the Lake Norman area. Their location has a drop off box in the hotel lobby and are asking local neighbors along with businesses to help by dropping off new toys to help local children put smiles on their faces during the holidays. Your contribution would be greatly appreciated! Drop off toys by Dec 15, 2016.
Mark the calendars for the next Karaoke Night at the Nautical Nook Bar at Homewood Suites in Davidson! It will be held on Thursday, December 15, 2016 from 8-11 pm and you won’t want to miss out on this good time.
Tis’ the season for experiencing Lake Norman holiday fun! Visit here for more area hotel and visitor information.
- Hampton Inn Lake Norman and Hampton Inn & Suites Huntersville are offering an online Renaissance Festival rate and package that includes two Renaissance Festival tickets. Hampton Inn Lake Norman also has an online D9 Brew rate and package that includes a growler and growler fill at D9 Brewing Co. Hampton Inn Lake Norman is also getting a new look and is doing a floor by floor total renovation.
- Homewood Suites Davidson will be hosting Karaoke Night at the Nautical Nook Bar from 8-11pm on Thurs, Nov 10.
- There will be a community and guest safety meeting for hospitality businesses Thurs, Nov 3 at 6:30pm at the Comfort Suites in Huntersville.
- Kudos to Comfort Suites Huntersville, the Huntersville Police Department, North Mecklenburg Rescue Squad and Angels & Sparrows, which recently organized a Trunk or Treat at the Deer Hill apartment complex in Huntersville. Angels & Sparrows donated 20 lbs gift bags to each family that contained food and personal items.
- Comfort Suites Lake Norman is offering a special promotion/package for the Thanksgiving Holiday coming up. They have partnered up with some local businesses to help make this year special for families in the area and those traveling through. The dates for the package are Wed, Nov 23 through Fri, Nov 25. The package will offer the following:
* A standard suite at the hotel, either a 2 queen bed room or a single king room. $99.00 a night plus tax.
* Guest will get a discount at Breakout Lake Norman. They have partnered with them and they will be offering buy one ticket, get one ticket 1/2 off when presenting their hotel room key.
* They are working with SpareTime as well and they will be offering discounts and coupons for the package.
*Lastly, the hotel will be giving a $10.00 gift card to Bojangles to each guest when at check in when they book this package.
Fill the calendar with local history, culture and art in Lake Norman. Fall is the perfect time to explore around the lake and we have some ideas of what to place on your itinerary.
- Davidson Community Players- Live theater
Davidson Community Players is a non-profit organization established to produce theater that entertains, enriches, and encourages community participation in the dramatic arts. The Connie Company is DCP’s theater for youth division. Both organizations have a long standing record of providing creative, authentic and affordable opportunities for both children and adults. See shows at Armour Street Theatre and on Davidson Campus!
2. The Warehouse Performing Arts Center
The Warehouse, a 55-seat black-box performing arts venue serving the Lake Norman area. Whether it is a theatrical production, musical concert, or literary event, Warehouse artists pride ourselves on creating high quality performances of works that are served by the intimacy of the space.
3. Carolina Renaissance Festival
The Carolina Renaissance Festival is a medieval amusement park, a 11-stage theater, a 22-acre village marketplace, an interactive circus, an arts and crafts fair, a jousting tournament and a feast — all rolled into one non-stop, day-long family adventure!
1. Historic Latta Plantation
The circa 1800 cotton plantation built by James Latta, was an early federal style house and living farm that has been preserved, offers guided tours, annual reenactments, special events, educational opportunities and festivals. Take a self guided grounds tour and sign up for a guided house tour to learn all about what life was like at the Latta’s and later the Sample family. Daily dose of history at Latta Plantation is great for any visit.
2. Historic Rural Hill
Historic Rural Hill was the home of Major John Davidson, American patriot and signer of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. Today the 265 acre historic plantation stands as a memorial to early American agriculture and has become a cultural center for Scottish heritage. It is the oldest public historic site in Mecklenburg County dating circa 1760.On the farm stands representation of the type of log home the Davidson’s would have first lived in establishing rural retreat, the ruins of their finest home, and the final home of the family, which houses the museum and gift shop. Outbuildings are open to explore and a variety of animals roam throughout the site including the rare Highland Cows, which originate from Scotland. Various annual events take place on the grounds and keep the calendars filled all year.
3. Davidson Cotton Mill
Davidson Cotton Mill is a turn of the century brick building built in 1890’s and is now home to Brickhouse Tavern and offices. Brickhouse Tavern is a locally owned restaurant offering fantastic food and atmosphere.
4. Davidson College
Davidson College was founded in 1837 by ministers of the Concord Presbytery. Its 1,700 students come from almost every state in the nation and many foreign countries. With a highly selective admissions process and NCAA Division I athletics, Davidson College is a diverse, historical and prestigious campus. Davidson College is over 170 years old, so there are many buildings and features of the campus that date back to its early days and provide a great history of the school. One of the oldest buildings in the town Carolina Inn, has been a part of the campus since 1946. The “Old Quad” is perhaps the most historic part of the campus maintaining four of the oldest buildings. The historic Oak Row and Elm Row, built in 1836-37, were the original dormitories of Davidson. Eumenean (“Eu”) and Philanthropic (“Phi”) Halls were built in 1850 and named for secret societies that met there. The new Chambers building was built in 1929 in the same spot as the old Chambers building, which burnt down in 1921. With continuing renovations and numerous historical buildings, the Davidson campus is a great mix of a charming past and a promising future.
For more ideas on what to do in Lake Norman visit the VLN website for calendar of events.
Ever wondered which charitable cause to support? Visit Lake Norman and its Lake Norman hotel partners have created a ‘Voluntourism’ initiative to give back to the Lake Norman community and make an impact. So what does ‘Voluntourism’ mean exactly? Well, the idea originated from VLN’s most recent Hotel Power Hour meeting where John Lynch, GM for the Hampton Inn & Suites Huntersville told the story of Angels & Sparrows Soup Kitchen’s need for bottled water for their bagged lunch program. At the conclusion of the meeting, the initiative was born and area hotels were leading the charge to collect cases of bottled water for the lunch program.
So what has been the result of the initiative? To date, 70+ cases of bottled water have been donated collectively by area Lake Norman hotels to Angels & Sparrows Soup Kitchen. Donations were made by the Comfort Suites Huntersville, Country Suites Huntersville, Courtyard Huntersville, Hampton Inn Cornelius, Hampton Inn & Suites Huntersville, Homewood Suites Davidson and VLN. Even though hotels propelled the initiative, you can can also help! VLN offers anyone a free Lake Norman coffee mug for every case of water dropped off at the Visitor Center in Cornelius. By the end of July, the program had delivered 8,701 lunches to seven Lake Norman communities, where families benefit from free and reduce priced lunches at school.
The Voluntourism initiative has also spun off another charitable one. The Comfort Suites Huntersville is collecting school supplies for a local elementary school! Feel free to contact Candice Karriker, Front Desk Manager for pick-ups, drop-offs or any questions at 704-875-6220 or email@example.com
So who’s ready to give back? Start spreading the word on these rewarding initiatives for Lake Norman communities that help spread light and love in our area.
Have a BEERcation in Lake Norman with these upcoming events that are sure to not only fill the calendar, but those bellies full of local LKN beer.
1. Langtree Live/ Every Thursday/ 5-10pm/ Langtree at LKN
A popular concert series where you can bring a chair and relax on the lawn with a D9 Brewing beer in your hand. Mark your calendar each week!
2. Sip N Shop/ Thursday, Aug. 18th/ 6-9pm/ Bayne Brewing Company
This could be dangerous. The taproom will be full of brands showing off their products while you sip on some local beer and wine…um, see you there!
3. 2nd Annual Old Town Cornelius Jazz Festival/ Saturday, Aug 20th/4-9pm/ Smithville Park
Chill out with a drink and some cool tunes at the Jazz Festival. Check out local food trucks, live painting and local artisans, kids zone and so much more. Proceeds support the Smithville Community Coalition. Beer provided by D9 Brewing Company.
4. LKN Summer Concert Series/ Saturday, Aug. 27th/ 5-10pm/ D9 Brewing Company
Music, food trucks, vendors, friends and beer. Need we say more?
5. Cork & Cask’s 3 Year Anniversary Party/ Friday, Sept. 2/ 6-12am/ The Cork & Cask
The Cork & Cask’s 3 year party is where you’ll need to be-eating, drinking and celebrating!
6. Lovefest/ Saturday, Sept. 3rd/ All day/ Primal Brewery
This event is showing the love for Huntersville first responders by partying in their honor with music, food and so much more. Proceeds from retail sales will go directly to the town departments!
7. Live music by Ryan Winters/ Every Sunday/ 4-9pm/ Ass Clown Brewing Company
The tunes will be going and the beer will be flowing every Sunday!
To learn more about these events and more, visit the calendar here.
- Congrats to Hampton Inn Lake Norman in Cornelius for recently receiving a 2016 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Award that recognizes hospitality businesses that have earned great traveler reviews on the TripAdvisor site over the past year. To qualify, a business must maintain an overall TripAdvisor bubble rating of at least 4 out of 5, have a minimum number of reviews and been listed on the site for at least a 12 months.
- Comfort Suites Huntersville/Lake Norman is proud to be the only hotel in the Lake Norman area to offer “A Room with a Brew“. This unique room package offers a discounted room rate in addition to special perks from local breweries including complimentary flights and souvenir pint glasses.
- The kitchens are in! Residence Inn Lake Norman just recently replaced all their full kitchens.
- Help us, help others! Lake Norman area hotels and Visit Lake Norman are doing a water drive to assist Angels & Sparrows Soup Kitchen in Huntersville summer bagged lunch program. So far, the program has delivered 8,701 lunches in 7 Lake Norman communities, in which families benefit from free and reduce priced lunches at school. Bottled water is in need for the summer stretch run and join the cause in donating a case of bottled water to Visit Lake Norman’s Visitor Center. Donate a case and receive a free Lake Norman coffee mug.
- Need Discount Hotel Rooms?? Contact VLN’s sales office by clicking here.
Part 2 of Out & About is here! Check out more things going on around the banks of Lake Norman and keep an eye out for part 3.
Within the Latta Nature Preserve is the Latta Equestrian Center. A small store stands near the arena area that has everything you’d need during a trip over, they even have descriptions and traits of each horse so you can get to know them better. Book a relaxing trail ride through the preserve, plan your own event or keep updated with camps and horse shows on their site.
Did someone say BBQ? If you’re in town and craving NC BBQ, Lancaster’s is the place to be, located in Rural Huntersville in the original Puckett’s Gas Station & General Store. With nearly 100 local craft beers, complimentary hush puppies and a menu full of southern staples, we wish you luck when deciding what to have (because you can’t really go wrong).
Get lost in the historical building filled with unique booths at Oak Street Mill in Cornelius. Tip-if you’re interested in furniture, be sure to block off some time to check out nearby stores, COCOCO Home and Pick-It Furniture Co.
A little advice, you do not want to pass by the Lake Norman breweries. With 4 breweries in the area, you’re sure to find a new favorite beer here. Stop by D9 Brewing Company in Cornelius to socialize, drink, play games and even grab a bite from a food truck that may be parked outside. Get to know the beer culture in the area by searching #LKNbeer.
Home of Davidson College, the quaint main streets are lined with plenty to see and do. We suggest heading to South Main St. and spending time in Wooden Stone, a large art gallery filled with local, regional and national artist works. Next, hop over to Carburritos for fresh Mexican. We promise you won’t be able to resist the smells walking down restaurant row.